As Scrum Masters we are intimately familiar with Retrospectives. We plan, organize and facilitate retrospectives for our team members and even larger chunks of the organization. But when was the last time you did your own personal retrospective? Leading by example is a concrete path for success so do the same things you ask the team to do. In this episode we discuss concrete examples of “leading by example” with Joe Anderson.
Retrospective format of the week
Joe Anderson recommends the Movie Review retrospective.
- Ask the team to think of a movie that illustrates what happened in the previous sprint
- Ask each team member to review the Sprint as if it was a movie
- List down the “ups” and “downs” with the team member speaking
- Dot-vote to select the concrete focus for the next Sprint
- Help the team decide on a concrete action to tackle the key topic they identified in the retrospective
About Joe Anderson
Joe is a Scrum Master at a small travel technology company with a passion for bringing out the best in people and building deep relationships. He works hard to foster an environment of safety, fun and learning with a focus on relentless improvement.